Well, Velocity Digital is one today! I can’t believe it! I’ve worked with some amazing clients and partners over the past 12 months, and I have to thank each and every one of them! My quick thoughts on my first year in business and some tips:
- I’ve learned more in one year that I have in the rest of my career combined
- Pricing is hard, very, very hard
- There are people out there that want you to fail
- But the majority will be rooting for you
- It is ok to make mistakes (I’ve not made many, but the key thing is being able to fix them)
- Clients love a no-bulls*** approach and they should be prepared to be on the end of ‘spade is a spade’ approach. This works both ways!
- Getting paid can be a drag, but professional invoices help!
- You need to be prepared to shift your business functions in order to meet demand – Velocity is now quite different to my initial vision
- If you expect praise, forget it, and never seek it
- Always be ready to learn from your clients
- Learn you client’s industry inside out, if you don’t you’ll struggle to offer the best solutions
- Often the best projects are the ones you thought you’d get no satisfaction from
- It isn’t all about satisfaction
- It is the best choice I’ve made. The ability to do things your way without influence from above (not god!) is amazing
Just a slice of my thoughts! I had a party today, check out the wild, behind-the-scenes footage in the video below: